We all love dough. Bread is an essential part of our nutrition, and for most of us, it also stands for a culinary standard. Loaves of bread come with their crust, aromatic smell, different textures, and of course – taste.
Part of enjoying this culinary comes in slicing the bread, doing it the way you want, without harming it or its texture, filling your dinner table with breadcrumbs, and risking injury to your fingers. There are designed serrated bread knives, which we consider an essential tool. There are many types and brands of bread knives. Each with its advantages and preferences, and to understand the concept behind those – we suggest you read our Bread knife buying guide.
There’s a price difference too. So we picked our top five recommended bread knives, starting with our editor’s choice – the Mercer Culinary Millennia 10″ Wavy Edge Bread Knife, which gives an excellent value for money and is also very versatile as it comes to many other cutting choirs, such as cakes, veggies, and more. As stated before, we bring you four more highly recommended bread knives to understand which is the right for you.
Top 5 Bread Knives
1. Mercer Culinary Millennia 10’’ Wavy Edge Bread Knife – Editor’s Choice
With great and many users’ reviews, excellent features, and modest pricing – no wonder it’s also our editor’s choice.
Mercer Culinary Millennia 10’’ Wavy Edge Bread Knife Specifications
The Mercer Culinary Millennia 10″ Wavy Edge Bread Knife comes from a famed manufacturer. Its razor-sharp blade is made of Japanese steel, and it serves more than slicing bread easily. With this serrated knife, you can also slice tomatoes and pastries effortlessly, performing precise cuts, doing it on the safer side. The mid to low price range ensures excellent value for money.
- Handwash with warm water and soap, dry after wash using a dry cloth.
- Not dishwasher safe.
- Razor-sharp blade
- Great value for money
- Safe to use
- Not dishwasher proof
- May dull over time
A beautiful design with efficient feats.
TUO 9’’ Bread Knife Specifications
Tou is a rising star in the cutlery field – it tries to pioneer every product they make. The TUO 9″ Bread Knife is designed for great looks and better performance. It’s a heavy, full-tang blade with an ergonomic pakkawood handle. That means it brings balance and feels very steady to hold. The sturdy serrations give the user easy slicing of the most rigid crusts.
- Handwash with warm water, dry after washing using a dry cloth. Do not rinse the handle in water for an extended period.
- Not dishwasher safe.
- Smart design
- Feels sturdy
- Cuts through tough crust
- The handle needs more attention and care
- May dull over time
3. Mercer Culinary Ultimate White, 8’’ Offset Bread Knife – Best Budget Bread Knife
The best value for money.
Mercer Culinary Ultimate White, 8’’ Offset Bread Knife Specifications
The Mercer Culinary Ultimate White, 8″ Offset Bread Knife comes at a meager price when considering all its benefits. The high-carbon stainless steel blade is very sharp, with a hollow ground edge for easy maintenance. An ergonomic handle made of non-slip polypropylene offers a better grip. While shorter than most of the competition, the knife is a multipurpose one, enabling precise cutting of veggies and hard-crusted pastries.
- Handwash with warm water and mild to medium strength soap. Rinse in water and dry using a dry cloth.
- It is not recommended to clean using the dishwasher.
- Unbeatable price
- Ergonomic, non-slip handle
- Easy to maintain and sharpen
- Short blade
- May feel “light” to hold
The brand name says it all.
Victorinox Swiss Army 10.25″ Bread Knife Specifications
The Victorinox Swiss Army 10.25″ Bread Knife is a wavy edge knife and comes from a very famed brand. It is a versatile blade that can cut loaves of bread, hard-peel vegetables, watermelons, and pineapples. The small serrations offer longer cutting moves making it safer to use in the hands of the amateur cook, and the rubber handle lets the user have a great grip.
- Handwash with a soapy cloth and dry immediately after.
- Sharpen after frequent use.
- All the knife’s materials are dishwasher safe. However, it’s not recommended as collision with other utensils may dull the blade.
- Wavy edge for smoother moves
- Safer to use
- It can be used as a spatula
- It needs sharpening more often
5. Shun DM-0705 Classic 9” Bread Knife – Best Japanese Bread Knife
The best quality comes at a price.
Shun DM-0705 Classic 9” Bread Knife Specifications
Japanese blades didn’t get their name for anything. The Shun DM-0705 Classic 9″ Bread Knife is a handcrafted blade with 68 layers of stainless Damascus steel. The blade’s sharpness is beyond compare, and while it feels heavy – the full tang knife offers perfect balance. These features make an ultimate bread knife that cuts the hardest crust without ripping, squashing, or tearing the bread. An all in all fantastic knife, but the price tag is way over other competitors on this list.
- Handwash with warm water, dry after wash using a dry cloth
- Do not use in dishwasher
- Handcrafted to perfection
- Long-lasting sharpness
- Perfect for precision work
- Quite expensive for an amateur cook
As you can see, the range of different bread knives is vast and goes a long distance. Nevertheless, all our recommendations are related to incredible brands of high-quality blades that stay sharp and are easily maintained. If you still find it hard to choose – we again suggest you pick the Mercer Culinary Millennia 10’’ Wavy Edge Bread Knife, as it will surely meet all your expectations, for a good start.